Chili-Rubbed Halibut With Cauliflower Curry
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed or canola oil, plus 1/3 cup
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ancho chili or red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless halibut or sablefish, skin on, cut into 2 1/2 -inch dice
- 1 1/2 cups finely sliced red onions
- 1 tablespoon peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2/3 cup canned tomato purée
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 pieces whole star anise
- 1/3 cup full-fat plain yogurt, plus extra for garnish (optional)
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into individual florets
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Chopped scallions, for garnish
- Naan bread or cooked basmati rice, for serving
Adapted from online.wsj.com
In a medium bowl, mix 3 tablespoons oil with 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cayenne and ancho chili. Add fish and gently massage spiced oil into fish.
Set a medium, lidded pot over medium heat. Add remaining oil and onions and sauté until onions soften and start to caramelize, about 8 minutes. Add ginger and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomato purée, turmeric, cumin, star anise, remaining cayenne and remaining salt. Sauté until spices are fragrant, 3-4 minutes. Turn off heat.
In a small bowl, combine yogurt with 3 tablespoons of the spiced tomato sauce. Stir mixture back into pot with tomato sauce and stir in 2 cups water. Place pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Stir in cauliflower and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until florets are tender and easily pierced with a knife, about 7 minutes. Turn off heat and cover to keep warm.
Meanwhile, fill another pot with 1½ inches water and fit with a steamer. Set pot over medium-high heat and bring water to a boil. Place fish in steamer, cover and steam until fish flakes easily when gently prodded, about 5 minutes.
To serve, ladle curry over fish. Garnish with cilantro and scallions. Top with a dollop of plain yogurt, if desired. Serve with naan bread or basmati rice.
You'll also love
- Risotto with Fennel & Vodka 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Indonesian Corn Fritter 3.9/5 (13 Votes)
- cheesecake Factory Bang Bang... 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Lone Star Steakhouse's Sweet... 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Robert Irvine's Blackened Salmon... 4.2/5 (15 Votes)
- Butter-Basted Halibut Steaks with... 4.2/5 (9 Votes)
- Cauliflower Crust Calzone 4/5 (7 Votes)
- Alaskan Halibut Lasagna 4/5 (5 Votes)