Sweet potato jalapeno soup
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth, or 4 cups water with 4 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 slices bacon
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup jalapeno
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- salt and pepper to taste
Adapted from newlybread.com
First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees, rinse off your jalapenos, wrap in foil, and throw them in for 20 minutes. Then take them out and give them a rough chop.
Scrub your sweet potatoes and cut them in half. Bring a large pot of water to boil and add in sweet potatoes. Boil until you can stick them and they are soft. Drain and let them cool until you can handle them. Peel off the skin, set aside.
While potatoes are cooling, add butter to the soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, saute until onions are translucent, add garlic and saute about one more minute. Cook your bacon separately in the microwave, oven, or in a skillet. When cooked, break 3 of the slices into pieces and add to the onions and garlic.
Add chicken broth to the pot, cover and bring to a boil. Slice the peeled sweet potatoes into bite sized pieces and add to the soup pot. Add jalapenos, cumin, cilantro, and half-and-half. Stir into soup. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
Use your immersion blender or regular blender, to blend all the ingredients until they are smooth with no lumps. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle remaining bacon and some cilantro on top.
You'll also love
- Steamer Clam Chowder 4.1/5 (13 Votes)
- Emeril's Crab Meat Deviled Eggs 3.9/5 (18 Votes)
- Spinach & Ricotta Cheese Crepe 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- Kielbasa Cornbread 4.1/5 (14 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Potato Soup 4.1/5 (11 Votes)
- Sweet Potato and Roasted Red... 3.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Southern Candied Sweet Potatoes 4/5 (13 Votes)