Slimming World Butternut Squash and Bacon Risotto
Really filling and warming this is one of my favourite recipes. No sys on extra easy plan I know the picture shows some lovely bread, but this is optional. When feeding the family/guests I just add this as extra for them or I have some and syn it.
- 1 leek finely chopped
- 198 g/7oz lean bacon, cut into strips
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 onion Chopped
- 255 g/9oz dried risotto rice
- 100 g/4oz Frozen Peas
- 397 g/14oz butternut squash, cut into small chunks
- 852 ml/1 1/2pt boiling hot chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp finely chopped chives
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 50mins
1. Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the leek, onion and bacon and stir-fry for 3-4 mins.
2. Add the garlic, rice, peas and butternut squash and stir-fry for 2-3 mins. Add a ladleful of the boiling stock and stir and cook until the liquid is absorbed. Repeat, adding a ladleful at a time, until half the stock is used up.
3. Continue to cook in this way until the stock is used up and the rice is creamy and al dente, and the squash is tender. This should take about 20-25 mins (took mine about 40 mins, but I like my rice cooked, not al dente!!).
4. Remove from the heat, season well (I seasoned while it was cooking) and stir in the chopped chives. Serve ladled into warmed bowls and eat immediately.