Hopi Blue Corn Tortillas
Homemade tortillas are so delicious, don't take long to make and really aren't hard to make. If you don't have a tortilla press, you can roll them out with a rolling pin between two pieces of parchment paper.
- 2 cups blue cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups water, boiling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour plus more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from honestcooking.com
In a medium bowl, sift the flour, nutmeg and white pepper together. Set the mixture aside.
In a large bowl, pour the boiling water over the cornmeal and stir to mix. Allow the cornmeal to rest and cool for 5 to 15 minutes.
When the cornmeal mixture is cooled, work the sifted flour mixture in to the cornmeal. Knead the dough for 1-2 minutes.
Pinch off 10 balls of dough.
Meanwhile, heat a griddle over medium-high heat. Once the griddle is hot, start pressing each ball of dough in a baking-parchment-lined tortilla press. Toast each tortilla for at least 2 minutes on either side. The tortilla is done when dark brown spots begin to appear on its surface. These tortillas are best enjoyed right off the griddle, but you may store them in an air-tight container and reheat for later usage.
You'll also love
- Paleo Broccoli & Cauliflower Soup 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Turkey Meatball Soup 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Garlic Ginger Bok Choy Sauté 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Wild Rice Dressing 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Scalloped corn 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Grilled Flank Steak with Black... 4/5 (10 Votes)
- Spring Frittata for Two 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Cinco de Mayo Burger 4.3/5 (3 Votes)