Delicious Turkey Gravy
What's turkey dinner without delicious gravy for your turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing! Make the stock up to three days ahead. Skim fat off of the top before using.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 turkey neck, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry sherry, dry white wine, or apple juice
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- Reserved turkey drippings
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 95mins
For the turkey stock, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrot, celery, onion, garlic, and chopped turkey neck. Cook vegetables until caramelized, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
Deglaze the pan with sherry, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom, then reduce the heat and cook the sauce until nearly evaporated.
Add 4 cups broth, peppercorns, thyme, parsley, and bay leaves. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour. Strain stock and chill sauce until ready to use.
For the gravy, skim ¼ cup fat from reserved drippings and return to roasting pan with 4 tablespoon butter, melting over medium-high heat.
Whisk in flour, reduce heat to low, and cook roux until bubbly for about 2 minutes. Whisk in turkey stock, 2 cups broth, and reserved turkey drippings. Simmer gravy over medium heat until thickened, whisking constantly for about 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in ¼ cup parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.
You'll also love
- Three Cheese Chicken Penne Pasta... 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with... 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- French Quarter Cocktails 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- HEALTHY FRENCH ONION TURKEY BURGER 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Cauliflower Hummus with Olives 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Cranberry Bars 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Paleo Crispy Sweet Potato Roast 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Southern White Gravy 4.6/5 (5 Votes)