Simple Brown Gravy
One of the most important dishes at Thanksgiving is gravy. This brown gravy recipe will compliment turkey, ham and stuffing perfectly.
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet or Worcestershire sauce (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 15mins
Adapted from recipelion.com
Place broth, butter, Kitchen Bouquet, onion powder and paprika into a 2 quart saucepan and bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Lower heat to a simmer.
In a small bowl, stir together the water and cornstarch to form and very smooth paste, called a slurry. Dip about 2 tablespoons of the hot broth into the slurry and stir until pourable and smooth, then stir the slurry into the simmering broth.
Continue to cook and stir until the mixture is of the consistency you like, about 3 more minutes. (The gravy will thicken slightly more off the heat). Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
Kitchen Bouquet or Worcestershire sauce is added for color and deeper flavor, and can be omitted if desired.
This recipe is appropriate for a chicken or vegetable gravy as well; simply substitute a good quality low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth for the beef.
You'll also love
- Slow Cooker Honey Buffalo Meatballs 4.2/5 (29 Votes)
- 4th of July Fireworks Cake 4.2/5 (29 Votes)
- Banana Bread in an Instant Pot 3.9/5 (74 Votes)
- Easy Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips 4.3/5 (23 Votes)
- Homemade Hot Chocolate 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Butternut... 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Cheese Straws 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Strawberry Vanilla Jam - Reduced... 4.4/5 (9 Votes)