Beef Broccoli Lo Mein with Flank Steak
This beef broccoli lo mein recipe is an excellent way to use up flank steak or round steak. It can also easily be made ahead—the only things that you should wait to cook until immediately before serving are the broccoli florets and the noodles.
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 large head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/2 pound whole grain spaghetti or linguine
- 2 tablespoons healthy cooking fat or ghee
- 1/2 pound flank steak cut into thin slices (1/4 inch or less)
- 1 large green bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
In small bowl, whisk broth, soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, cornstarch and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
Bring large pot of water to boil. Lightly salt and add broccoli. Bring back to boil and cook for 3 minutes. Scoop out broccoli with slotted spoon and reserve. In same pot, cook pasta for 6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
In large skillet, heat fat over medium high heat. Add steak and pepper and stir fry for 3 minutes. Stir in sauce and simmer for 1 minute until thickened. Add broccoli and water chestnuts. Cook 2 minutes. Toss with pasta and serve immediately.
Cook's Note: I made this again with some sirloin steak that was leftover from grilling. I sliced it very thin and added it in at the end with the broccoli and water chestnuts. I also used an extra bell pepper, the white parts of some green onions I had leftover and some bok choy. I sautéed all those items with the peppers. Lastly, I chopped up the thick broccoli stems in sticks and coins and put them in the boiling water first and cooked for 4 minutes before adding the florets. They were tender and delicious in the stir fry, adding some extra nutrition and fiber.
You'll also love
- Plumped Ginger-Caramel Shrimp 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake 2 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Chicken Stew with Beans 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Spinach Tart with Olive-Oil... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- GUNPOWDER SMOKED TURKEY 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- TNT SMOKED BEEF TENDERLOIN 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Roasted Golden Beet Salad 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Deviled Eggs - Pioneer Woman 3.8/5 (125 Votes)