Balsamic Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
From: Taste of the South, Feb/Mar. 2011
- 1 (3 1/2 to 4 lb) whole chicken
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 carrots, sliced 3/4-inch thick (about 2 cups)
- 1 lb small Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
- 1 large onion, quartered
- Balsamic Sauce:
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp. chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
2. Rinse chicken with water*, pat dry, and rub with kosher salt. Butterfly chicken by removing backbone with kitchen scissors. Set aside.
3. In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet or glass baking dish (spray with nonstick cooking spray if using glass), place carrots, potatoes, and onion. Place chicken on top of vegetables, breast side up, tucking in wing tips.
4. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, broth, olive oil, honey, oregano, and rosemary for sauce. Pour over chicken.
5. Place skillet on the middle rack of oven, and roast 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 400 degrees, and continue cooking until a meat thermometer registers 165 degrees in thickest part of breast, and additional 20 to 40 minutes, depending on size of chicken.
6. Let chicken rest for 15 minutes before cutting.
*Recent studies recommend against washing/rinsing raw chicken.
You'll also love
- Lemon Blueberry Drizzle Bread 4.4/5 (30 Votes)
- Giant Double Chocolate Pound Cake 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Breakfast Pork Chops 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Instant Pot Chicken & Noodles 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Melted Ice Cream Cake 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Gluten Free Sesame Chicken with... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Baked Paprika-Parmesan Chicken 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
- Skillet Roasted Chicken and... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)