Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 large butternut squash
- 10 cups of chicken stock
- 8 oz bacon
- 1 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 2 cups of leeks (optional)
Adapted from winefoot.com
Cut the bacon into little chunks and render in a sautee pan until crispy – drain bacon drippings, leaving about 1 tablespoon in the pan. (You can also roast the squash in a 375-degree oven for 30-minutes or until caramelized).
Cut squash into small to medium sized chunks and pan-sear in bacon drippings then put it into a blender w/ about 10 cups of stock. (you may have to use only 6-8oz of stock, depending on the capacity of your blender – if so, add the rest of the stock after you pour the puree into the dutch oven).
Blend until you achieve a relatively smooth puree and then pour into dutch oven on medium-low heat to simmer for about 15 minutes.
*Optional leeks: Sautee in the bacon drippings until tender.
Season w/ salt, pepper, nutmeg and cinnamon.
For the topping, I just combined 1-part sour cream with 1-part heavy cream and cut up some fresh chives..
You'll also love
- Mussels and Clams over shell pasta 4/5 (5 Votes)
- Strawberry Risotto (Risotto alle... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Cod roasted with bacon and leeks 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- Italian Christmas Turkey Stuffing 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Zucchini Hush Puppies 4/5 (6 Votes)
- Roasted Red Onions & Delicata... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Pastele Stew 3.7/5 (105 Votes)
- Pork-n-Beans Chili 3.8/5 (77 Votes)