Low Carb Creamy Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew
Recipe from George Stella's Real Food Real Easy cookbook
- 1 and 1⁄2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 ⁄2 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- Special Equipment: Slow Cooker
Preparation time 20mins
Adapted from pinterest.com
1. Cut chicken into 1 inch cubes. Add olive oil and chicken to a large skillet over medium-high to high heat, browning well, about 4 minutes each side. When meat is almost browned, add onions to cook just until they sweat.
2. Transfer chicken and onions to a slow cooker set to low. Add some of the chicken broth to the skillet the chicken was cooked in, and use a spatula to scrape the bottom, breaking up any glaze the chicken may have left in the pan. Pour over chicken and onions in slow cooker, and then pour in remaining chicken broth.
3. Cut sweet potatoes into 1⁄2 inch cubes and add to the cooker, along with poultry seasoning. Stir all.
4. Cover and let cook 6-8 hours, depending on when you are ready to serve. Stir in the heavy cream and salt and pepper to taste. Thicken the stew before serving by mashing a few of the cooked sweet potato cubes into the broth.
George’s Tips | I like to serve garnished with a (very) small pinch of ground cinnamon.
calories: 255|fat: 8.5g|protein: 31g |fiber: 1.5g |net carbs:9g
You'll also love
- Basque Braised Chicken 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Pommes de Terre Anna... 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Kristi's Easy Eggs Benedict 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Pretzel-Topped Sweet Potatoes 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Southern-Style Old Fashioned... 4.2/5 (9 Votes)
- Chicken and Shrimp Lettuce Wraps 3.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Low Carb Chicken Cordon Bleu... 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Pastele Stew 3.6/5 (85 Votes)