Chorizo Potato Croquettes
Find more recipes at:
January 19, 2013
- 2 lbs russet potatoes
- 1/2 lb fresh chorizo sausage
- 3/4 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 3 eggs, divided
- 2 cups Italian bread crumbs
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil, for frying
Adapted from keyingredient.com
Peel the potatoes, then roughly chop them into large chunks. Place them in a big pot of water, and generously season the water with salt. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, and cook the potatoes for about 15 minutes, until fork tender. Drain the potatoes and spread them out on a sheet pan. Mash them well with a fork.
Heat up a large skillet over medium high heat. While that heats up, remove the chorizo sausage from the casing, and when properly heated, add the chorizo to the pan. Brown the chorizo for about 5 minutes, until fully cooked through.
In a large mixing bowl, stir to combine the mashed potatoes, chorizo, and queso fresco. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Stir in 1 egg.
Use a 1.5 Tbsp dish to portion out balls, and shape them with your hand. Set them out on a sheet pan and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (and up to overnight), so they don't fall apart when we fry them.
Set up a breading station with the bread crumbs in one dish and the other two eggs in the other. Whisk to blend the eggs, and season with salt and pepper. Roll each ball in the egg, let the excess drip off, then dip it in the bread crumbs.
Heat up a deep fryer (or a big stockpot with a couple inches of oil) to 375 degrees F. Fry the croquettes for exactly 3 minutes, then let them drain on a paper towel. Enjoy! I suggest serving it with some sort of spicy aioli, if you're feeling up for making one!
You'll also love
- Memphis Style Smoked Turkey 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Cornmeal Scrapple Recipe 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Filipino Pork Barbeque 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Pears & Camembert 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Hickory Garlic Olive Tapenade 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- smoked sausage and white bean soup 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Mom's Potato & Dumpling Soup 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Grammie's bbq Polish kielbasa 4.6/5 (9 Votes)