Chicken Cutlets with Mushrooms and Pearl Onions
The brandy-spiked sauce adds an elegant touch to this simple supper; you can sub wine.
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup frozen pearl onions, thawed and drained
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
- 2/3 cup brandy
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
Adapted from myrecipes.com
Cut each chicken breast half in half horizontally to form 8 cutlets. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place flour in a shallow dish; dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess.
Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add 4 cutlets to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until done, over medium heat. Remove chicken from pan, and keep warm. Repeat procedure with 1 tablespoon olive oil and remaining 4 cutlets.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add pearl onions and mushrooms; sauté 6 minutes or until browned. Remove pan from heat. Carefully add brandy to pan, return pan to medium-high heat, and bring mixture to a boil. Cook until liquid almost evaporates (about 2 minutes). Combine stock and cornstarch, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add stock mixture to pan, stirring with a whisk; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Return chicken to pan; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, butter, and thyme.
You'll also love
- Hunan Chicken Recipe 4.3/5 (36 Votes)
- TJ’s Chicken Tortilla Soup 4.4/5 (39 Votes)
- Baked Pecan Crusted Chicken Fingers 4.7/5 (11 Votes)
- Smoky Pork Burgers with Grilled... 4.7/5 (11 Votes)
- Roasted Vidalia Onions with Herbed... 4.7/5 (11 Votes)
- Mushroom & Swiss Burgers 4.7/5 (11 Votes)
- Penne with tofu, porcini mushroom... 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Chicken a la King 4.6/5 (15 Votes)