Venison (or Steak or Chicken) Chimichanga
A tasty use of venison or steak or chicken. Goes well with a little vinaigrette salad with crumbled or grated cotija cheese.
- 1 1 1 pound of venison, steak or chicken
- Crisco Oil
- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1 1 can refried black beans or refried pinto beans
- 1/2 1/2 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 8 10 8 10 8 - 10 medium whole wheat tortillas (larger than fajita size)
- guacamole )separate recipe
- sour lean or sour cream
- your favorite salsa
- Salad Optional
- Boston Leaf lettuce or your favorite greens
- Oil vinaigrette dressing
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- cracked pepper
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from images.search.yahoo.com
1. Dice the meat into small cubes - 1/4" or so. season with salt & pepper. Preheat a large deep frying pan on medium high heat. (pan will serve dual use for both cooking filling and for frying the chimi's in oil later) I prefer a regular skillet - not non stick for this. I have a old black skillet that is well seasoned and works perfectly.
2. Add about 2 Tbs olive oil and quickly stir fry the meat stirring frequently until just done. Add in the raisins and stir then add refried beans and mix well and heat until just hot. Pour/scrape into a large bowl and clean the pan. Reheat pan over medium heat with 1/2" canola oil in pan.
3. While oil is heating, warm tortilla in microwave for 40 seconds to soften. Take approximately 1/3 - 1/4 cup of filling and place in tortilla on one side, tuck over end, fold over sides to middle and fold over again to make a mini burrito. You can make 8 - 10 depending on size. Not too full as you need to tuck up nicely for frying. Make up all the chimi's.
4. Using a tongs place 3 - 4 chimi's (depends on the size of your pan, don't crowd), fold side down and fry 3 - 4 minutes until nicely browned, turn and repeat for other side. Drain on paper towels and cover with a couple more paper towels. Finish cooking the chimi's.
These will be hot so don't worry about serving too quickly.
Prepare salad by chopping up the lettuce, dress with some vinaigrette and fresh pepper, toss, add in the crumbled cotija and serve with the chimichanga's and garnishes.
You'll also love
- Chicken, Spinach & Bean Soup 4.3/5 (11 Votes)
- Chicken with Tomato-Basil Cream... 4.3/5 (11 Votes)
- Chicken Burrito Bowls 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Copycat Chipotle Corn Salsa 4.2/5 (15 Votes)
- Venison Stew 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Skinny Slow Cooker Chicken... 4.1/5 (18 Votes)
- 5-Ingredient Buffalo Chicken Roll... 4.3/5 (13 Votes)
- Venison Stroganoff 4.3/5 (4 Votes)