Texas-Style Blueberry Cobbler
While many think of cobbler as juicy fruit under a biscuit topping, in the Lone Star state it’s more like a fruit-packed snack cake. A thick batter is poured into a well-greased, preheated baking dish and topped with a mixture of smashed berries and sugar. As the cobbler bakes, the batter puffs around the fruit, leaving you with pockets intermingled with cake and berries and a chewy, buttery perimeter. We’re not picking favorites on styles, but this cobbler is a new winner in our baking repertoire.
- Serves 8 to 10
- Keep a close eye on the butter as it melts in the oven so that it doesn’t scorch. Place the hot baking dish with butter on a wire rack after removing it from the oven. Avoid untreated aluminum pans here. If using frozen blueberries, thaw them first.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into 4 pieces, and 8 tablespoons melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups (10 1/2 ounces) sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- (3 cups) blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups (7 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt1
- 1/2 cups milk
Adapted from cookscountry.com
1. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Place 4 tablespoons cut-up butter in 13 by 9-inch baking dish and transfer to oven. Heat until butter is melted, 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, pulse ¼ cup sugar and lemon zest in food processor until combined, about 5 pulses; set aside. Using potato masher, mash blueberries and 1 tablespoon lemon sugar together in bowl until berries are coarsely mashed.
3. Combine flour, remaining 1¼ cups sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Whisk in milk and 8 tablespoons melted, cooled butter until smooth. Remove baking dish from oven, transfer to wire rack, and pour batter into prepared pan.
4. Dollop mashed blueberry mixture evenly over batter, sprinkle with remaining lemon sugar, and bake until golden brown and edges are crisp, 45 to 50 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Let cobbler cool on wire rack for 30 minutes. Serve warm.
You'll also love
- Gordon Biersch Garlic Fries 4.3/5 (13 Votes)
- Chocolate Chunk Pumpkin Seed... 4.1/5 (13 Votes)
- Pork Chops and Caramelized Apples 4.2/5 (15 Votes)
- Chocolate Cherry Cha-Cha 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- Blueberry, Oatmeal & Flaxseed... 4.1/5 (16 Votes)
- Weight Watchers Blueberry Cobbler 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Puff Pastry Blueberry Cobbler 0/5 (0 Votes)