Honey Lime Tequila Shrimp Tacos
Spiked with tequila, these shrimp tacos pack a powerful punch with a variety of delicious spices and flavors. Pair them with a side of grilled veggies!
- 2 pounds raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- juice of 2 limes, plus 1 lime
- 1/2 cup tequila
- 1 medium onion, finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle (optional)
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1/2 head of red cabbage, thinly sliced
- SLAW DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice, about 2 to 3 limes
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup light, neutral oil, such as grape seed
- CHIPOTLE CREMA:
- 1 cup sour cream or créme fraîche, low fat can be used
- 2 pieces of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, canned
- 12 to 15 yellow or white corn tortillas
- Handful of cilantro, finely chopped
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 70mins
Wash, peel, devein, and dry raw shrimps. Season with salt.
In a bowl, combine honey, lime juice, tequila, onion, cumin, and chipotle powder (if using). Mix well and toss shrimps in marinade. Chill for at least 4 hours, up to 12 hours in the refrigerator.
Heat grill to 400°F. Make sure to oil the grills well. Skewer shrimps in soaked wooden sticks (this will make it easier to handle on a grill).
Grill shrimps until bright or just opaque, about 2 minutes each side. Flip the shrimp skewers and cook for another 2 minutes or until they turn bright orange. Alternatively, you can also pan fry the shrimps. Set cooked shrimps aside.
Dice the avocados and squeeze juice from the remaining 1 lime.
Thinly slice the red cabbage using a sharp knife or a mandolin.
To make the dressing for the red cabbage slaw, put the lime juice, Dijon mustard, sea salt, pepper and oil in a jar or bowl. Whisk vigorously until it emulsifies.
Toss the red cabbage with the lime vinaigrette. Set aside.
Meanwhile, to make the chipotle crema, place the chipotles in the bowl of the food processor and give it a good whirl until it is smooth.
Stir in the sour cream or créme fraîche, mixing well until the color is even. Transfer chipotle crema in a squeeze bottle.
To assemble the tacos, heat tortilla in a dry pan, about 1 minute per side or until lightly browned or charred. Wrap tortilla in a cloth to prevent from drying out. Set aside, covered.
Place some diced avocados in the middle of the tortilla, followed by the red cabbage slaw. Remove skewers from shrimps and pile on the taco.
Drizzle with the chipotle crema and garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- CREAM CHEESE SCALLOPED POTATOES 4.6/5 (39 Votes)
- pasta - homemade potato garlic... 4.4/5 (29 Votes)
- Shortcut Chicken Cordon Bleu... 4.5/5 (27 Votes)
- Frosted Cherry Drop Cookies 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Autumn Brittle 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Baked Salmon with Honey Mustard... 4.3/5 (23 Votes)
- Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie Soup 4.7/5 (13 Votes)
- Sweet and Spicy Crab Cakes 4.7/5 (13 Votes)