- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons snipped dried cranberries (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups evaporated fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, snipped
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded orange peel
- Nonstick cooking spray
1. For orange sauce, in a small saucepan combine the 1 teaspoon orange peel, the orange juice, water, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons snipped dried cranberries (if desired), and cornstarch. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat; set aside.
2. For pancakes, in a large bowl combine the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of mixture; set aside. In another bowl combine evaporated milk, egg product, melted margarine or butter, and vanilla; add all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be slightly lumpy). Fold in the 1/2 cup cranberries and 1 tablespoon orange peel.
3. Coat a griddle or heavy skillet with cooking spray. Preheat over medium-high heat. For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle or skillet. Spread batter into a circle about 4 inches in diameter. Cook over medium heat about 2 minutes on each side or until pancakes are golden brown, turning to cook second sides when pancakes have bubbly surfaces and edges are slightly dry. Serve the pancakes with orange sauce. Makes 6 servings (12 pancakes).