Superb Rigatoni and Cauliflower Au Gratin
- 9 oz (260 g) rigatoni pasta
- 1 medium cauliflower, in florets
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cornstarch
- 3 cups (750 mL) milk
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook pasta for 10 to 12 minutes, adding cauliflower florets after 4 minutes. Cook until pasta and cauliflower are tender.
Meanwhile, in large pan over medium heat, melt butter, add oil and onions, stirring, until onions are lightly browned. Stir in cornstarch and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add milk and cook, stirring, until sauce comes to a boil and is thickened.
Stir in 1 cup (250 mL) of the cheese, and salt, pepper, nutmeg, drained pasta and cauliflower.
Spoon into a buttered 13 x 9 inch (33 x 23 cm) baking dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs, remaining cheese and parsley over pasta mixture.
Place under preheated broiler. Broil until golden brown. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Orange Mousse 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Blueberry Pudding Cake 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Potatoes with Ranch Dressing 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Crustless Salmon & Broccoli Quiche 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Asparagus Bow-Tie Pasta 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Soup, White Bean and Pasta 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Lemon Orzo Salad with Asparagus,... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Chicken Penne with Tomato Garlic... 3.7/5 (3 Votes)
Review this recipe