Heirloom Tomato and Onion Quiche
Summer's fresh tomatoes lend color and flavor to this cheesy quiche that makes a light dinner or lunch idea.
- 1/2 15 ounce package (1 crust) rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrust
- 12 ounces assorted garden heirloom tomatoes (Cherokee Purple and/or Brandywine) or regular tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup half-and-half, light cream or milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded Swiss, cheddar, Monterey Jack, and/or Havarti cheese (4 ounces)
Preparation time 25mins
1. Let piecrust stand at room temperature according to package directions. Unroll piecrust into a 9-inch pie plate. Crimp edge as desired. Line unpicked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 4 to 5 minutes more or until pastry is set and dry. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
2. Meanwhile, place tomato slices on paper towels to absorb excess moisture. In a small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion. Cook until onion is tender but not brown, stirring occasionally.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half, flour, basil, salt, dry mustard and black pepper.
4. To assemble, sprinkle cheese onto bottom of the hot, baked pastry shell. Spoon onion mixture over cheese. Arrange a single layer of tomato slices over cheese, overlapping slightly. Slowly pour egg mixture over tomatoes. Sprinkle paprika over egg mixture.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 35 to 40 minutes or until egg mixture is set in center. If necessary, cover edge of pie with foil for the last 5 to 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings
You'll also love
- All-American Apple Pie 4.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Sweet & Spicy Beef Short Ribs 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Turkey & Cranberry Quesadillas 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Potato Breakfast Casserole 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Prosciutto, provolone and arugula... 4.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Parmesan Onion Party Puffs 4.5/5 (30 Votes)
- Grilled Romaine Salad with Tomato... 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Kielbasa Sandwiches with Grilled... 4.2/5 (65 Votes)