Corned Beef & Macaroni Casserole
This corned beef and macaroni casserole is essentially mac and cheese kicked up a notch! Makes a great lunch or side dish.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni cooked and drained
- 2 (12-ounce) cans corned beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 tubes of Ritz crackers, crushed
- 3 cups Velveeta cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 60mins
Preheat oven to 375°F
In a small, heavy saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons of butter over low heat. Blend 6 tablespoons of flour into the melted butter. Add 3/4 teaspoon of salt. Cook over low heat, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes. Cooking for this length of time will minimize 'flour' taste.
Slowly add 3 cups of milk, stirring constantly and continue cooking slowly until smooth and thickened. Add the 3 cups of Velveeta Cheese and stir until melted and smooth.
Take a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish and spray it with cooking spray then add 1/2 of the macaroni. Crumble 1 can of corned beef over macaroni and sprinkle 1/2 of the onion on top of that along with 1/8 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.. Now make another layer of macaroni and place the 2nd can of corned beef and the rest of the onion on top as before. Sprinkle the last 1/8 teaspoon of salt and the 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Now pour the white sauce over casserole and poke holes through casserole with a knife so that the sauce permeates the casserole. Add cayenne pepper at this time if desired and top with the crumbled crackers.
Place in the preheated oven for 30 minutes to complete dish.
You'll also love
- Gulf Coast Seafood Stew 4.3/5 (35 Votes)
- Baked Salmon with Dill Sauce 4.1/5 (37 Votes)
- Orange Chicken Meatballs 4.4/5 (27 Votes)
- Easy Pumpkin Pie Cake 4.3/5 (29 Votes)
- Pecan Crackers 4.3/5 (26 Votes)
- Southern Style Pecan Chicken Salad 4.3/5 (28 Votes)
- Homemade Pasta Dough - Kitchen Aid... 4.2/5 (41 Votes)
- Pork Sausage Patties 4.3/5 (28 Votes)