Meatball Sub Casserole
Game day favorite! Easy peasy recipe using frozen meatballs, store bought sauce, three cheeses, and French or Italian bread.
- GARLIC BUTTER FOR THE BREAD:
- 1 (32-ounce) bag frozen meatballs (I used Great Value brand, Fully Cooked, Italian Style)
- 1 (24-ounce) can/jar marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Italian blend cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 loaf fresh French or Italian bread, sliced (I used French twin loaves from Walmart Deli)
- 1/2 stick (1/4-cup) salted butter, melted
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Dash of salt, optional
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated, optional
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 55mins
Add the frozen meatballs and the sauce to a pot over medium heat. When it starts to bubble, reduce heat to medium-low, cover pot (with lid tilted), and simmer until heated through, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Preheat oven to 375° F.
Place enough of the meatballs down the center of a 13x9-inch baking dish (I used about 3/4 of them), leaving a little room around the edges for the bread. Layer half the Italian cheese, Parmesan, and mozzarella over the meatballs. Top with the remaining meatballs and sauce, then layer the remaining half of cheeses over them.
Line the edges of the pan with the slices of bread (see note below first) in an upright position.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bread is toasty.
If desired, before arranging the bread slices in the baking dish, the bread can be brushed with melted butter, garlic butter, olive oil, or the mixture listed in the ingredients.
For the Garlic Butter for the bread:
Melt the butter, then stir in the remaining ingredients. Brush one side of the bread slices before arranging them upright in the baking dish.
You'll also love
- Chunky Monkey Banana Brownies 4/5 (65 Votes)
- Baked Crispy Ranch Cornflake... 4.3/5 (31 Votes)
- Chicken Divan (Diabetes-Friendly... 3.8/5 (75 Votes)
- Maple Cream Fudge 4.1/5 (42 Votes)
- Easy Chicken Noodle Casserole 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker BBQ Meatballs Recipe 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Beef Doritos Casserole 4.1/5 (36 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Mozzarella Stuffed... 4.4/5 (9 Votes)