Blood-Red Hot Chocolate & Marshmallow Bones
Jeepers creepers! Stay warm this halloween with a scary mug of Blood-Red Hot Chocolate & Marshmallow Bones!
- MARSHMALLOW BONES:
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 ounce unflavored gelatin (1 tablespoon)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- HOT CHOCOLATE:
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons red gel-paste food coloring
Line 2 baking sheets with waxed paper. Combine 1/2 cup cold water and the vanilla in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over top, and let stand until softened, about 5 minutes.
Bring granulated sugar, corn syrup, and remaining 1/4 cup cold water to a boil in a small saucepan. Cook, washing down sides of saucepan with a wet pastry brush, until mixture registers 234 degrees to 240 degrees on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat.
Whisk gelatin mixture with a mixer on high speed for 30 seconds. With the machine running, carefully pour hot sugar mixture down the side of bowl in a slow, steady stream. Whisk mixture until very fluffy and almost stiff, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch round tip.
To form the bones:
In a continuous motion, pipe a small figure 8, then a straight 5-inch line, then another small figure 8. Repeat. Let bones stand, uncovered, for 10 to 12 hours in a cool, dry place.
Generously sift confectioners' sugar over bones, turning to coat. Shake off excess. (The marshmallow bones will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.)
For Hot Chocolate:
Bring milk and sugar to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves, about 7 minutes. Pour over chocolate, and let stand. When chocolate begins to melt, stir until combined. Whisk in food coloring.
Serve immediately with marshmallow bones.
You'll also love
- Slow Cooker Sticky Caramel Pumpkin... 4.6/5 (28 Votes)
- Strawberry Banana Bread 4.5/5 (31 Votes)
- 4th of July Rice Krispies Treats 4.4/5 (33 Votes)
- Lucky Charms® Cupcakes 4.6/5 (28 Votes)
- Oklahoma Fried Onion Burgers 4.2/5 (65 Votes)
- Mandarin Orange Cake 4.3/5 (44 Votes)
- Halloween Orange Sherbet Punch 4.4/5 (38 Votes)
- Salted Caramel Popcorn Balls 4.6/5 (19 Votes)