Shrimp and Squash Casserole
- 1-1/2 pounds yellow squash (equals 3 cups squash)
- 3/4 cup raw shrimp, shells removed and deveined
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1/2 cup coarse bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted (to combine with crumbs and cheese)
Wash and dry squash. Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices.
Thoroughly rinse shrimp under cold water. Drain.
Heat the two tablespoons butter in a saucepan. Blend in flour, salt, and pepper. Cook until it bubbles. Remove from heat and gradually add chicken broth, stirring constantly. Bring to boil for 1 or 2 minutes.
Blend in whipping cream and minced onion. Mix in the raw shrimp.
Place a layer of squash in the bottom of a 1-1/2 quart casserole and spoon half of the shrimp sauce over the squash. Repeat layers with remaining squash and shrimp sauce.
Cover tightly and set in a 400°F oven for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, toss crumbs and Parmesan cheese with melted butter.
After 30 minutes, remove casserole from oven and reduce heat to 350°F. Remove cover and top with the crumb mixture. Return to the oven for 15 minutes, or until crumbs are golden brown.
You'll also love
- Yellow Squash Casserole 4.5/5 (71 Votes)
- Golden Pennies (Carrot Salad) 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Charley's Crab Martha's Vineyard... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Frosted Flake Potato Bake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Fish in Garlic Sauce (Pescado al... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Bacon Wrapped Shrimp and Cheese... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spicy Shrimp and Chicken Pasta... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Whole Pumpkin Baked with Cream and... 0/5 (0 Votes)