Sweet Potato Bread Pudding with Orange Sauce
Sweet and delicious bread pudding is made with biscuits and sweet potatoes and topped with a homemade orange sauce that is wonderful.
1 Serving Calories 515 ( Calories from Fat260), Total Fat29g (Saturated Fat13g, ), Cholesterol145mg Sodium570mg Total Carbohydrate56g (Dietary Fiber2g ), Protein8g
- 4 1/2 cups Original Bisquick® mix
- 1 1/3 cups milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1/4 cups mashed baked sweet potatoes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 eggs
- ORANGE SAUCE:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 240mins
Adapted from bettycrocker.com
Heat oven to 450°F.
In large bowl, stir Bisquick mix and 1 1/3 cups milk until soft dough forms. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Break up biscuits.
Butter bottom and sides of rectangular pan, 13x9x2-inches. Spread biscuit pieces in pan. Sprinkle with pecans and raisins. In large bowl, beat all remaining pudding ingredients with electric mixer on low speed until blended. Pour over biscuits in pan. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 8 hours.
Heat oven to 350°F. Stir mixture in pan. Bake about 1 hour or until top is golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, heat all Orange Sauce ingredients over low heat 5 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly with wire whisk, until slightly thickened and temperature reaches 165ºF for 15 seconds. Serve warm over pudding. Store covered in refrigerator.
Make an extra batch of the Orange Sauce to pour over fresh berries or sliced fruit. Nothing ever went to waste in the soul food kitchen. Stale bread became bread pudding, dating all the way back to the 1800s. This updated variation is made with quick-to-fix biscuits.
You'll also love
- Kristi's Redneck Gourmet Popcorn... 4.3/5 (14 Votes)
- Cold Sneaky Sesame Noodles 4.3/5 (14 Votes)
- Hungarian Mushroom Soup... 4.3/5 (14 Votes)
- Pressure-Cooker Brisket in a Pinch 4.3/5 (14 Votes)
- Orange and Pork Turnovers 4.3/5 (14 Votes)
- Sizzling Shrimp Tacos w/ Red... 4.3/5 (14 Votes)
- Potato and Vegetable Enchiladas 4.3/5 (14 Votes)
- APPLESAUCE COOKIES 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
Review this recipe