Walla Walla Onion Pie
Sweet, savory, with a slight tang from the addition of melted Swiss cheese, this Walla Walla Onion Pie recipe get its sweetness from the Walla Walla onions. Perfect for you next ladies' luncheon or to take to a potluck, this recipe is sure to be a hit when served with a lightly dressed side salad or a tall glass of iced sweet tea.
- 4 Walla Walla sweet onions or any sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon. salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons Swiss cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped, plus more to taste
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
Prepare a 9-inch pie crust by lining it with parchment paper and filling it with beans or pie weights, then partially bake your pie crust for about 15 to 20 minutes in a 375°F oven. (Once you use and cook the beans as pie weights, they will no longer be edible, but you can continue to use them over and over as pie weights.) The pie crust should still be blonde but slightly golden on the edges, the middle should still be mostly raw. Remove from oven, remove pie weights, and set aside.
Sauté onions in oil and butter over low heat until golden yellow. Beat together eggs, half and half, flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg, then add onions and half of the grated cheese.
Pour into curst; sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Place pie pan on baking tray and bake at 375°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Garnish with parsley and serve.
You'll also love
- Grandma Mary's Self Crust Apple Pie 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Polish Sausage Potato Soup 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Old Fashioned Pumpkin Roll with... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Baked Potato Chip Chicken 4.3/5 (16 Votes)
- Ham, Brie, Marmalade & Arugula... 4.3/5 (17 Votes)
- Mini Puffs with Goat Cheese & Herbs 4.2/5 (25 Votes)
- Onion Tomato Chutney 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Onion Board (pletzel) 5/5 (1 Votes)