Spiced Apple-Caramel Crumble Bars
These soft, spiced apple crumble bars with an easy homemade caramel layer and crumbly, buttery oat topping are the perfect holiday dessert – and so easy to make, too!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups cold butter, divided
- 5 cups (4 to 5 medium) peeled, diced apples
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon (pinch) ground nutmeg
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from thecomfortofcooking.com
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with parchment paper and spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut in 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside 2 cups for topping.
Press remaining crumbs into prepared baking dish. Evenly arrange apples over top.
In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, water, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining 2 Tablespoons butter. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly; spread over apples. Sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until top is lightly browned. Let bars cool completely before cutting.
Notes: toss in a few handfuls of fresh cranberries. Maybe a sprinkle of freshly grated ginger or lemon zest.
You'll also love
- Cherry or Raspberry Tapioca Pudding 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Salmon Teriyaki 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Raisin Bread French Toast 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Fresh Corn & Zucchini Cakes 4.2/5 (15 Votes)
- Coconut Nutella No Bake Cookies 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Apple Cider & Cranberry Sangria 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Green Apple-Caramel Soda Float 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Rolo Ritz Cracker Cookies 4.2/5 (28 Votes)