Toasted Quinoa with tomatoes and shrimp
- Toasting quinoa in a dry skillet (before cooking) lends another level of flavour to this grain and gives it a lovely hue.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked quinoa, well-rinsed
- 3 cups hot, low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 fresh hot chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced plum tomatoes with juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb fresh or thawed frozen okra, trimmed and left whole
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Rinse and drain quinoa well. Place a large, dry skillet over medium-high heat for a few minutes. When it is warm, add the quinoa. Stir the grain to allow moisture to evaporate and to prevent burning; cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until toasted. Reserve.
Add the hot broth boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until all the broth has been absorbed and the quinoa has taken on a transparent look, about 15 to 20 minutes. Keep warm. Heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until softened, adding a little more oil if necessary. Add garlic and chili and cook for 5 minutes in a large skillet. Add tomatoes and 1/2 cup (125 mL) of their juice and sugar. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and add okra. Stir gently to combine well. Cover, simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until okra is tender. If sauce is very thick, add a little more tomato juice.
Pat shrimp dry and nestle them into the hot tomato mixture. Cook, turning as necessary, until the shrimp turns pink and begins to curl. Place a portion of the toasted quinoa on a plate. Make a shallow well in the centre and spoon a portion of the okra, tomato and shrimp mixture into it. Scatter fresh coriander over each serving.
Makes 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (892 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (706 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Famous Red Lobster Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (487 Votes)
- Creamy Shrimp & Mushroom Pasta 4.5/5 (263 Votes)
- Easy & Healthy Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (194 Votes)