Turkey Ragu on Spaghetti Squash
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. (or to taste) red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey (not the 99% lean – too lean for this dish)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 25 oz. jar tomato basil marinara (I use Trader Joe’s Organic … fantastic flavor)
- Grated Parmesan for serving
Preheat oven to 400°.
1. With a very sharp and large knife, carefully cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and strings. Drizzle olive oil over the cut side and add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Place both halves on a baking sheet (lining the sheet with tin foil makes clean-up super easy) and bake for 40 – 50 minutes, checking after 40 minutes.
3. In a large pot over medium high heat, sauté the bacon until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to paper towel to drain and reserve.
4. Discard all but 1 Tbs. of the bacon fat. Add 2 tsp. olive oil and warm over medium heat. Once the oil is warmed, add the onion and sauté for ~8 minutes … just until the onion begins to brown and caramelize.
5. Add the carrot and celery and continue to sauté for an additional 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for 2 minutes. Sprinkle the red pepper over the vegetables.
6. Add the ground turkey to the pot and sauté until browned and cooked through.
7. Raise the heat to high and deglaze the pot with the chicken broth. Add the marinara.
8. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat, and simmer with lid slightly askew for 50 minutes. Stir occasionally.
9. When the spaghetti squash is done – a sharp knife will enter with no resistance – remove from oven and cool for a few minutes.
10. Using a large serving fork, shred the squash into spaghetti like strands. Arrange the squash on a serving plate and top with the Turkey Ragu. Serve with additional Ragu and parmesan.
You'll also love
- Bourbon Glazed Smoke Pork Chops 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Coconut Carrot Salad 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Spicy Shrimp & Sun Dried Tomato Dip 4.3/5 (11 Votes)
- Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Pan Roasted Pork Tenderloin with... 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Red Pumpkin Soup 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- HEALTHY FRENCH ONION TURKEY BURGER 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Boats via... 4.3/5 (20 Votes)