Stir-Fried Beef and Broccoli - Emeril Lagasse
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse.
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 teaspoons grated ginger
- 4 teaspoons Chinese black vinegar (I used dark red wine vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 3 teaspoons orange blossom honey
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 2 pounds beef flap steak, thinly sliced across the grain* (Flank or
- skirt steak works)
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 large heads broccoli, cut into florets and blanched
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Steamed white rice, for serving (I used brown rice)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
1. Combine the garlic, ginger, vinegar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce and honey.
2. Mix well and set aside until ready to use.
3. Preheat a wok or a large skillet.
4. Once it has reached a medium heat, add 1/2 of the peanut oil.
5. Dredge the beef in the cornstarch, lightly shake off any excess cornstarch and add 1/2 of the beef to the pan.
6. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Add 1/2 of the broccoli to the pan and shake frequently.
8. Add 1/2 of the sauce and stir to evenly coat the beef and broccoli.
9. Cook until the sauce thickens about 5 minutes.
10. Repeat the process with the other half of the ingredients.
11. Serve immediately with steamed white rice.
*It will be easier to slice the beef in thin strips if it has been partially frozen.
Chef's Note: this may be able to be done in 1 batch if using a very large wok or skillet.