The Joy of Cooking Tuna Noodle Casserole
This simple, hearty casserole brings together tuna, egg noodles, onions, mushrooms, red pepper, homemade Cheddar sauce, and crunchy topping.
- 4 tablespoons (1/2-stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red or green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 to 1 cup grated Cheddar
- 2 (6-ounce) cans tuna packed in oil or water, drained
- 2 cups cooked egg noodles (or other pasta)
- 1/4 cup fresh parley, minced
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup dry unseasoned breadcrumbs, fine cracker crumbs, or crushed corn flakes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from juliasbookbag.com
Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a 1 1/2 to 2 quart shallow baking dish.
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, until bubbly. Add the vegetables and cook about 5 minutes. Stir in flour. Cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and whisk in milk. Return to heat and cook, whisking, until the sauce comes to a boil and is thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add the cheese, whisking until melted.
Turn the tuna into a bowl and flake with a fork. Do not mince. Stir in the hot cheese sauce, then add the cooked noodles, parsley if using, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix together well. Pour the mixture into a baking dish. Mix together the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the top.
Bake until bubbly and browned on top, 25 to 35 minutes.
You'll also love
- Pumpkin Pie Cake 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Pumpkin Bread with Sweet Glaze 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Pasta Fagiloi in the Crockpot 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Coconut Shrimp with Dipping Sauce 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Blackened Tilapia Baja Tacos 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Pasta Carbonara 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Muddled Screwdrivers 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Lemon Tiramisù 4.5/5 (25 Votes)