Tuna Noodle Casserole from Scratch
This from-scratch tuna casserole is full of homemade flavor—nothing artificial or processed! It will become a family favorite.
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) package uncooked medium egg noodles
- 1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes (optional)
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon each thyme
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- Splash white wine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of Parmesan
- 1/4 package cream cheese
- 2 cups milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 (6-ounce) cans tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- Suggestion: Double Recipe for 9x13-inch dish
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 75mins
Adapted from allrecipes.com
Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a medium baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter or cooking spray.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add egg noodles, cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Stir in the onion, celery, thyme, nutmeg, crushed red pepper, garlic, splash of white wine and cook 5 minutes, until tender. Increase heat to medium-high, and mix in mushrooms. Continue to cook and stir 5 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan, and whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Add the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, Parmesan and continue cooking 5 minutes, until sauce is smooth and slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
Stir in tuna, peas, mushroom mixture, and cooked noodles. Transfer to the baking dish. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small bowl, mix with bread crumbs, and sprinkle over the casserole. Top with left over cheese.
Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until bubbly and lightly browned.
Suggestion: Double Recipe for 9x13-inch dish
You'll also love
- Skinny Waldorf Chicken Salad 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Sparkling Sidecar 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Carrot Cake Cookie Sandwiches with... 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Tomatillo Ranch Chicken 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Toffee... 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Apple & Orange Cake 4.2/5 (30 Votes)
- Tomato Shrimp Fettuccine 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Antipasto Pasta Salad 4.6/5 (14 Votes)