Chilled Strawberry Souffle
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons powdered egg whites (equal to 4 egg whites)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen strawberries in syrup, thawed
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
Cooking time 11mins
1. Fold 26-inch piece foil lengthwise in half. Attach to 1-quart soufflé dish to create 3-inch collar above top of dish.
2. In bowl, mix powdered whites and water; let stand.
3. Drain strawberries, reserving syrup. In food processor, puree strawberries. Place puree in large metal bowl.
4. In saucepan, mix gelatin and 1/4 cup sugar. Stir in reserved syrup and yolks. Let gelatin soften, 1 minute. Over medium-low, cook, stirring, to dissolve gelatin, 8 minutes; do not boil (by 5 minutes, temperature should be 140°F and then remain there for next 3 minutes). Pour into puree.
5. On high speed, beat reconstituted whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar until stiff peaks form. In clean small bowl, beat cream just until stiff.
6. Cool gelatin-puree mixture in ice water bath, stirring frequently, until like sour cream, 6 minutes. Remove from bath. Fold in whites and cream. Pour into soufflé dish. Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight. Remove collar. Serve.