Tomatillo and Black Bean Soup
That said, this is a lovely soup, and really doesn’t take too much time to put together, though it’s not a quick fix. It’s based on a recipe from the talented Gwyneth Paltrow, and has a subtle, intriguing flavor. We picked up our tomatillos at our farmer’s market – check one near you to see if they’re in season.
- 12 small tomatillos
- 2 red onions
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 3 garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 can beans
- 1 can hominy
- 3 sprigs cilantro + more for garnish
- 8 radishes
- 3 green onions
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- One lime
Adapted from acouplecooks.com
1. Preheat an oven to 450F.
2. Roughly chop 12 small tomatillos, 2 red onions, and 2 jalapeno peppers (remove the seeds). Cut 3 garlic cloves into quarters.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the chopped veggies, peppers, and garlic on the sheet and drizzle with enough olive oil to coat. Sprinkle with kosher salt. Roast until soft and slightly browned, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Use this time to drain and rinse the hominy and black beans. Also, prepare the garnishes: thinly slice the radishes and green onions, and chop the cilantro.
5. Add the roasted vegetables to a pot. Using an immersion blender, puree with 1 quart vegetable broth (alternatively, use a blender).
6. Add 3 sprigs of cilantro, hominy and black beans. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Season with kosher salt.
7. Remove the cilantro sprigs. Pour into bowls, and garnish with green onions, radishes, cilantro, and fresh-squeezed lime juice.
You'll also love
- New England Seaport Fisherman's... 4.1/5 (8 Votes)
- Liz's turkey pita sandwich 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Lime Chipotle Pork Medallions 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Beet-Citrus Salad with Pistachios 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Crab Cake Eggs Benedict with... 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- One Skillet Sausage & White Bean... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Tomatillo-Braised Chicken Thighs 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Cajun Black Bean Soup with Lime 4.3/5 (3 Votes)