Tomatillo-Braised Chicken Thighs
The tomatillos in this braising sauce offer a tangy contrast to the rich chicken flavor. Select firm (but not hard) fruit that feels heavy in your hand and with the papery husk intact.
- 12 ounces tomatillos (about 5 medium), husks removed
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, halved and seeded
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1 3/4 pounds), skinned
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons Mexican crema
Preparation time 25mins
Adapted from myrecipes.com
Preheat broiler to high.
Place first 3 ingredients on a jelly-roll pan; broil 9 minutes, turning after 5 minutes. Combine tomatillo mixture, cilantro, stock, and flour in a blender; process until smooth.
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken to pan, meaty side down; cook 5 minutes or until browned. Turn chicken over; top with tomatillo mixture. Partially cover pan; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 9 minutes or until chicken is done. Sprinkle with tomatoes; top with crema.
Cooking Light May 2014
Note: MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Nutritional Information: Amount per serving Calories: 302 Fat: 16g Saturated fat: 3.4g Monounsaturated fat: 6g Polyunsaturated fat: 3.1g Protein: 30g Carbohydrate: 9g Fiber: 2g Cholesterol: 105mg Iron: 2mg Sodium: 446mg Calcium: 34mg
You'll also love
- Rosemary Chicken Wings 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Paella Negra 3.6/5 (5 Votes)
- No Yolks Chicken Skillet 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Chipotle Stuffed Chicken Breast 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Chicken... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Mojo Grilled Chicken Breasts 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Spring Chicken 4.8/5 (8 Votes)
- Deep Fried Buffalo Chicken Skewers 4.2/5 (9 Votes)