Black Pepper Beef with Green Beans
- 1 pound green beans, ends snapped off and strings removed
- 3/4 pound flank steak, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce or soy sauce1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 slices unpeeled fresh ginger
- 1 medium onion, sliced
Preparation time 10mins
Adapted from newsletter.pubgroup.com
Snap green beans into halves or thirds to make pieces about 2 1/2 inches long.
Slice steak with the grain into 2-inch-wide strips. Then slice the strips across the grain into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
Whisk together soy sauce, cornstarch, wine, sugar and black pepper in a medium bowl. Add beef and mix well.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok or stir-fry pan over high heat until oil is hot but not smoking. Test by dipping a spatula in the beef mixture and then into the oil; it should sizzle. Add green beans and stir about 1 minute. Add water and reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook until tender-crisp, 6 to 9 minutes. Transfer beans and liquid to a shallow dish.
Add remaining oil to pan and increase heat to high. Add ginger and stir until oil is hot and ginger sizzles. Add onion and stir constantly 1 minute. Stir beef mixture and add to pan. Cook, stirring, until beef is no longer pink, about 2 minutes.
Return beans and liquid to pan and stir until mixed well and heated thoroughly, about 30 seconds. Discard ginger.
You'll also love
- PEACH BUNDT CAKE 4.2/5 (28 Votes)
- Pineapple Pie 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Perfect Pork Chops 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- ZZ Smashed Potato Cakes 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Tomato & Cucumber Salad 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Cheddar Bacon Biscuits 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Copy Cat Pei Wei Mongolian Beef 4.6/5 (15 Votes)
- Bacon Wrapped Green Beans 4.6/5 (15 Votes)