A classic comfort food sandwich made with a tomato based well seasoned ground beef, onions and bell peppers served on a Kaiser roll. Even more delicious with a dill pickle spear!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 whole large onion, diced
- 1 whole large green bell pepper, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, more to taste
- Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (optional)
- Tabasco sauce (optional; to taste)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, more to taste
- Kaiser rolls
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Add butter to a large skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add ground beef and cook until brown. Drain most of the fat and discard.
Add onions, green pepper, and garlic. Cook for a few minutes, or until vegetables begin to get soft.
Add ketchup, brown sugar, chili pepper, dry mustard, and water. Stir to combine and simmer for 15 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste. Also add tomato paste, Worcestershire, and Tabasco if desired. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Spread rolls with butter and brown on a griddle or skillet. Spoon meat mixture over the rolls.