Pound Cake Perfection with Banana Bread variation
A delicious recipe for pound cake that can easily be adapted to banana bread. I usually double the recipe and make 1 loaf of each. They're both so good!
- BANANA LOAF VARIATION:
- 1/2 cup canola or safflower oil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup water or, instead of water use coconut milk: 2/3 cup Lite coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour, finely ground
- 3/4 cup potato starch
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons guar gum (do not use xanthan gum)
- 1 scant teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 super-ripe banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 to 1 cup walnuts, chopped, optional
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from thecinnamonquill.com
Preheat oven to 350°F. Oil and sugar two loaf pans: I used two 8×4-inch pans.
In the bowl of a mixer, combine oils, applesauce, sugar/brown sugar, vanilla, eggs, coconut milk and/or water, and orange juice. Mix until sugar dissolves, slightly.
Add flours, xanthan/guar gum, salt, and baking powder.
Mix for two minutes, or until all ingredients have transformed into a well-combined batter.
Pour into prepared pans.
Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, until toothpick in the middle comes out clean. Let cool in pans 10 to 20 minutes, then un-mold onto a cooling rack until fully cooled. Can be stored on counter, in refrigerator, or freezer (this cake actually freezes very well).
BANANA LOAF VARIATION:
Pour half of above batter into loaf pan. To remaining batter, add banana, cinnamon, and walnuts, mixing until the banana and cinnamon are well-combined. Pour into other loaf pan. Bake as directed above.
I usually make one pound cake and one banana loaf; I assume the above could be doubled to make two banana loaves, but I’ve never actually tried it.
You'll also love
- Bacon and Ranch Cheese Ball 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- Ginger Lime Chicken Kabobs 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- Potato and white bean salad 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- Olive Garden Apple Praline... 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- Spiced Chicken and Rice Stew 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- WW Healthy Banana Sundae 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake with... 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- Banana Crumb Muffins 4.2/5 (14 Votes)