Panera Tomato Basil Bread
This Tomato Basil Bread's chewy crust pairs well with a steaming mug of soup. The pretty color and robust flavor are a great pairing with chicken or turkey cold cuts or a summer tomato sandwich.
- 1 (.25-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110 to 115°F)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, minced (substitute with 2 tablespoons dried)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 3/4 cups bread flour
Preparation time 2mins
Cooking time 37mins
Adapted from thebreadfairy.blogspot.com
In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water.
Stir in basil, Parmesan cheese, tomato paste, sugar, oil, salt, pepper flakes and 2 cups flour.
Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
Punch dough down; knead for 1 minute.
Shape into a round loaf.
Place on a greased baking sheet.
Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
With a sharp knife, cut a large "X" in top of loaf.
Bake at 375°F for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
You'll also love
- Award Winning Maryland Cream of... 3.7/5 (1083 Votes)
- Oreo Dirt Cake 4/5 (340 Votes)
- Bacon Breakfast Enchiladas 4.2/5 (310 Votes)
- Strawberry Refrigerator Cake -... 3.9/5 (332 Votes)
- Baked Strawberry Donuts 3.9/5 (363 Votes)
- Strawberry Coconut Chia Seed... 4.4/5 (228 Votes)
- Trisha Yearwood's Potato-Beef... 3.7/5 (298 Votes)
- German Potato Salad Heirloom Recipe 4.4/5 (221 Votes)