Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to oil baking dish (I use olive oil spray)
- 1 Tablespoon Earth Balance
- 2 1/4 pounds golden potatoes
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cups non-dairy creamer
- 3/4 Tablespoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup Monterey Jack ,shredded
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Rub the garlic around the inside of an 8x8x2-inch casserole dish and let it dry. Reserve the remaining garlic. Spray the olive oil (or other cooking spray) around the inside of the dish.
2. Peel and thinly slice the potatoes (about 1/8-inch thick slices). In a large saucepan, combine the garlic, Earth Balance, potatoes, onions, non-dairy creamer, salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring until the mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to the prepared dish. Shake the pan so the potatoes are distributed evenly. Top with the cheese
3. Bake the potatoes until lightly browned and bubbly, and the potatoes are tender, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.