Save the Day Stuffing
This is a terrific recipe for traditional stuffing, that includes some mushrooms. Baked for only 35 minutes, the liquid ingredients are mixed together and poured over the semi-dry bread cubes.
- 6 slices light bread (40 - 45 calories each with around 2g fiber per slice)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup fat-free chicken or vegetable broth, room temperature
- 1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
- 1 tablespoon light whipped butter or light buttery spread (like Brummel & Brown)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, to taste
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 65mins
For best results, leave bread uncovered at room temperature for a night or two, until slightly stale. Otherwise, begin by lightly toasting bread.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Cut bread into 1/2-inch cubes. Spray a medium baking dish with nonstick spray, and place bread cubes evenly along the bottom of the dish.
In a medium pot, combine broth, celery, and onion. Cook for 8 minutes over medium heat.
Remove pot from heat, and add mushrooms and garlic. Season mixture to taste with salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme. Let cool for several minutes.
Add egg substitute and butter to veggie/broth mixture and stir. Pour mixture into the baking pan, evenly covering bread cubes. Mix gently with a fork. Bread cubes should be moist, but not saturated (if necessary, add 1 - 2 tablespoons water, and then mix again).
Cover with foil, and cook dish in the oven for 20 minutes.
Remove foil, and fluff and rearrange stuffing. Return dish to oven (uncovered), and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
You'll also love
- Slow-Cooker Mac & Cheese 3.8/5 (1370 Votes)
- 7-Layer Vegetarian Greek Dip 4.5/5 (135 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Cornbread Dressing 4.8/5 (19 Votes)
- Olive Bread Stuffing with Fennel 4.7/5 (21 Votes)
- Chickpea & Ham-Hock Stew 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Quiche Lorraine 0/5 (0 Votes)
- √ Pennsylvania Red Cabbage 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Deep Fried Turkey Rub 0/5 (0 Votes)