Lemon Cake Pie with Blueberry Compote
Light and airy, this is the perfect after dinner dessert when you are not looking for something heavy. This pie is great on its own, but it can also be topped with a simple blueberry compote.
- Blueberry Compote:
- 1 9-inch (20cm) unbaked pie shell (homemade or store bought)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp butter, softened
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Zest and juice of one large lemon
- 3 tbsp flour
- Confectioners (icing) sugar for dusting
- 1 pint (2 cups) fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tspn cornstarch
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 65mins
Adapted from motherthyme.com
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (160C).
2. In a large mixing bowl beat sugar and butter.
3. Stir in egg yolks one at a time followed by milk, lemon zest, lemon juice and flour until combined. Set aside.
4. Using an electric mixer, in a medium bowl beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form.
5. Gradually fold in the wet ingredients until just combined.
6. Pour into prepared pie crust.
7. Bake in for 40-45 minutes until top is just set.
8. Note, the top of pie will become very brown. If top becomes too dark, cover with aluminum foil. Also, cover the edge of pie crust with foil or pie crust shield to avoid burning.
9. Cool on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners sugar when still warm.
l. In a small saucepan add blueberries, water, sugar and cornstarch and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until blueberries release their juices and sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
2. Allow to cool and serve over pie.
3. Store pie and compote in refrigerator.