Cherry & Raspberry Ripple Gelato
This gelato contains cherry and raspberry puree, as well as diced fruits for texture. You could substitute pretty much any berry and I’m sure it would be equally good.
- CHERRY PUREE:
- Use any ice-cream base (with eggs) or Sicilian gelato base (without eggs, with cornstarch)
- 2 cups pitted cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- RASPBERRY PUREE:
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoon any alcohol
- 1/4 cup cherries, pitted and finely diced
- 1/4 cup raspberries, lightly crushed
- 1/3 cup cherry puree (reserved from the ingredients above)
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from foodnouveau.com
Put everything in a saucepan and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Let cool. Puree using a blender or a food processor. Save 1/3 cup of the cherry puree for the ripple.
Puree all the ingredients together in a blender or a food processor. Strain the puree with a fine mesh to remove the raspberry seeds. Set aside.
Freeze the gelato:
Blend your cooled custard base with the cherry and raspberry purees (except 1/3 cup cherry puree reserved for the ripple). At this point, you can add 2 tablespoons of any alcohol you think would taste good with your flavors (I added Absolute Raspberry Vodka). It’ll help keep your gelato more scoopable.
Pour your fruit custard into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Stop the machine when the gelato is almost firm.
To get a rippled gelato:
Pour 1/4 of the gelato custard in a airtight container big enough to store the whole gelato recipe. On the gelato, pour 1/3 of the chopped fruits and 1/3 of the reserved cherry puree. Repeat twice and end with a layer of gelato custard. Layering fruits and custard this way will create the beautiful rippled look when you scoop your gelato in serving cups.
Or what I do is: 2 minutes before the churning is over I add the chopped fruits and the puree in a stream, giving it just enough time to get incorporated.
Put your assembled gelato in the freezer for an additional 30 minutes or until required. It will keep for a month.
You'll also love
- Red, White & Blue Berry Trifle 4.6/5 (29 Votes)
- Mixed Berry Pizza 4.6/5 (29 Votes)
- Raspberry Swirl Frozen Dessert 4.6/5 (29 Votes)
- Frozen Cherry Margarita 4.6/5 (29 Votes)
- Soup - Thai Pumpkin Coconut Soup 4.6/5 (29 Votes)
- Raspberry Swirl Frozen Yogurt 4.5/5 (38 Votes)
- Lemon Gooey Butter Cookies 4.7/5 (18 Votes)
- Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream 4.7/5 (18 Votes)