Pulled Chicken Sandwiches with Apple Cider & Cabbage Slaw
The apple juice based BBQ sauce is the star! Full of flavor, easy to prepare, and all ingredients are simple and clean! Sweet, tangy, and smokey all together!!
- 1 pint apple cider or apple juice
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 (10 to 12-ounces each) whole chicken legs, skin removed
- 4 cups coleslaw blend
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons apple cider or apple juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- Bread-and-butter pickle chips (optional)
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the apple cider to a boil and boil until it has reduced to 3/4 cup, 10 to 12 minutes.
Stir in the remaining sauce ingredients and return to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium and continue simmering the sauce until it is slightly thickened, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the saucepan from the heat and set aside.
In a small bowl combine the rub ingredients. Stir in the oil to make a wet rub. Brush the chicken legs evenly on both sides with the wet rub. Allow the chicken legs to stand at room temperature for 20 minutes before grilling.
Prepare the grill for direct and indirect cooking over medium heat (350°F to 450°F).
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine the slaw ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the chicken legs over indirect medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until the juices run clear and the meat is no longer pink at the bone, 50 minutes to 1 hour, turning once. Remove the chicken legs from the grill, transfer to a rimmed baking sheet, and let rest until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Toast the buns, cut side down, over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, for about 1 minute.
Using two forks or your fingers, pull the chicken apart into shreds. Add the chicken to the saucepan with the sauce and heat over medium heat until hot, 2 to 3 minutes. Pile the chicken on the buns and top with coleslaw. Serve with bread-and-butter pickle chips, if desired.
You'll also love
- Rosemary Lamb Chops 4.6/5 (23 Votes)
- Soup with string beans, garlic and... 4.6/5 (23 Votes)
- Simple Cherry Banana Smoothie 4.6/5 (23 Votes)
- Coconut Flour Bread 4.6/5 (23 Votes)
- Chili Con Carne (Chili Beans) 4.6/5 (23 Votes)
- Baked Acorn Squash Fries 4.1/5 (58 Votes)
- Chinese Bakery Style Hot Dog Buns 4/5 (90 Votes)
- Apple Hand Pies Recipe 4.6/5 (20 Votes)