Soup with string beans, garlic and bacon
- 1/2 lb. thinly sliced bacon, cut into small strips
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 1 lb. young, green string beans, cut in half
- 1 large carrot cut into thin slices
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- A good pinch of dried thyme
- A good pinch of dried basil
- 1 chicken or vegetable stock from 2 cubes
- A pinch of sugar
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- A handful of small sized pasta
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
Fry the slices of bacon with the onion until tender and transparent, stirring often. Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
Add the sliced carrots, chopped celery and the tomatoes. Stir and cover. Simmer over low heat until the vegetables begin to become tender.
Add tomato paste and herbs. Mix well.
Add the stock, and bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
Season with sugar and pepper.
Simmer for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add pasta and cook until al dente.
Garnish soup with grated Parmesan and serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Simple Cherry Banana Smoothie 4.4/5 (24 Votes)
- Cucumber, green pepper & tomato... 4.3/5 (46 Votes)
- Chile Verde (Green Chili With... 3.9/5 (76 Votes)
- Carrot Cake for Two 4.8/5 (9 Votes)
- ROASTED RACK OF LAMB 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- BBQ Pulled Pork Hash 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- Pasta with White Beans, Roasted... 4.8/5 (8 Votes)
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes 4.4/5 (30 Votes)