Chile Verde (Green Chili With Pork)
Try this Chile Verde over bean and beef or breakfast burritos, chimichangas or just eat it as a stew with warm tortillas. I make a huge pot of this so I can freeze some for later. Can be transfered to the crock pot for all day simmering on low. Adjust chilies, jalapeños and spices, tasting as you cook.
- 2 to 3 pound pork roast (pre-diced pork works well for a faster preparation. Just brown with onions)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil or 2 tablespoons lard or 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 head minced garlic
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups diced green chilies
- 3 large tomatillos, husks removed and coarsely chopped
- 2 to 4 teaspoons jalapeños, chopped
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 540mins
Simmer roast in a large pan until meat is tender and removes from the bone easily. (You can also use diced pork, or pork cube steaks (cut to bite size pieces), browned in the pot with the onion and garlic before adding the rest of the ingredients).
Cool meat enough to handle. Cube cooked pork into bite size pieces.
Process 1/2 of the green chilies until smooth.
In the same large pan, heat oil. Add onions and garlic; sauté until tender but not brown.
Stir flour into the onion, garlic and fat until flour absorbs the oil or fat.
Add broth. Cook and stir until mixture comes to boil and is slightly thickened.
Add cubed meat, drained tomatoes, chopped tomatillos, all of the green chilies and jalapeños. Add the spices a little at a time until you get the taste you like, bringing to a simmer before each addition.
Simmer for at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
If you want more of a stew type chili, add cubed potatoes 20 minutes before serving; serve with warm tortillas.
Serve over burritos and garnish with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream.
You'll also love
- Crab Cucumber Bites 4.6/5 (25 Votes)
- Chicken Alfredo Bubble-up 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Golden Chicken 4.8/5 (8 Votes)
- Carrot Cake for Two 4.8/5 (9 Votes)
- ROASTED RACK OF LAMB 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Meatballs with Beef and Sausage 4.8/5 (8 Votes)
- BBQ Pulled Pork Hash 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- Low Carb Cheesy Pork Enchiladas 4.5/5 (23 Votes)