Sonoma Chicken Salad Sandwich
As far as chicken salads go, this recipe leans toward the sweeter side of savory with the addition of cranberries, apple juice, and honey. A nutritious, well-balanced sandwich.
- 3 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken, about 2 pounds
- 1 cup celery, diced, about 3 stalks
- 2/3 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, such as Craisins, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Sliced bread, for serving
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard (optional)
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In a large mixing bowl toss together shredded chicken, celery, pecans, dried cranberries and Parmesan cheese, set aside.
In a separate mixing bowl whisk together all ingredients until well blended.
Pour dressing over chicken mixture and toss to evenly coat.
Serve over sliced bread, croissants or rolls. Store in refrigerator.