Halibut In Pernod Broth With Fennel And Asparagus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb trimmed, and thinly sliced
- 4 slender asparagus cut diagonally
- into 1" pieces
- 6 baby carrots peeled, and cut diagonally into 1/4"-thick ovals
- 4 shallots thinly sliced (abt 1/2 cup)
- 2 cups bottled clam juice
- 1/4 cup Pernod (or other anise-flavored liqueur)
- 4 fresh basil sprigs
- 4 fresh dill sprigs
- 4 fresh tarragon sprigs
- 4 halibut fillets - (5 to 6 oz ea)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chilled butter
Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add fennel, asparagus, carrots, and shallots; sauté until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer vegetables to bowl.
Add clam juice, Pernod, and herbs to same skillet; bring to boil. Add halibut fillets. Reduce heat to very low, cover, and simmer until fish is just opaque in center, about 10 minutes.
Using slotted spoon, transfer fish to large shallow soup bowls. Return vegetables to skillet. Add lemon juice and butter; stir until butter melts. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon warm vegetables and broth over fish.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
"Before coming to America, I apprenticed with some of France's best chefs, like Marc Meneau and Alain Passard. I was lucky to have such great teachers, but after two years of working 17-hour days, it was time for a change. Moving to Los Angeles definitely altered my work habits. My days in the kitchen are shorter, and there's more opportunity to enjoy cooking at home. "
You'll also love
- Grilled Prosciutto Asparagus 4.5/5 (193 Votes)
- Tropical Macadamia Halibut 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Pasta With Lobster, Wild... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Green Beans With Orange And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cannellini With Tomato-Sage Sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sugar-Seared Salmon With Cream... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Bulgur Risotto With Peas And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Halibut With Tomato-Tarragon Cream... 0/5 (0 Votes)