Bulgur Risotto With Peas And Asparagus - ...
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 cups bulgur
- 4 cups chicken stock - (about) (or canned low-salt chicken broth)
- 1 pound asparagus trimmed, and cut into 3/4" pieces
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas unthawed
- 3/4 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese - (abt 1 1/2 oz)
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- Additional freshly-grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Melt 4 tablespoons butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté until light golden, about 5 minutes. Mix in bulgur. Add 1/2 cup stock and cook until absorbed, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup stock 2 more times, simmering after each addition and stirring often until liquid is absorbed.
Mix in asparagus. Continue adding stock 1/2 cup at a time until bulgur is just tender and mixture is creamy, simmering after each addition and stirring often until stock is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Add peas and cook 3 minutes longer. Stir in 3/4 cup Parmesan, cream, tarragon and remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Serve, passing additional grated Parmesan, if desired.
This recipe yields 6 servings as a first-course.