Prune, Orange, Fennel, Red Onion Salad With Mixed Greens
- 1 cup dried pitted prunes
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 oranges
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Sherry wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 medium fennel bulbs with fronds bulbs trimmed, and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fronds from above
- 6 cups mixed baby greens
- 2 thin red onion rings
Combine first 3 ingredients in small saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until prunes are soft and juice is reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 6 minutes. Transfer prunes to bowl; reserve juice. Chill prunes until cold, about 2 hours. Cut into quarters.
Cut peel and white pith from oranges. Working over bowl to catch juice and using small sharp knife, cut between membranes to release segments. Combine 2 tablespoons orange juice from bowl, oil, vinegar, grated orange peel, and reserved prune juice; whisk to blend. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
Gently toss orange segments, minced red onion, 1 tablespoon fennel fronds, and 1 tablespoon dressing in medium bowl. Combine mixed greens, onion rings, and fennel bulbs in large bowl. Toss with remaining dressing. Divide salad among 4 plates. Top with prunes and orange mixture.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per serving: calories, 250; total fat, 7 g; saturated fat, 1 g; cholesterol, 0.
You'll also love
- Plum And Walnut Crisp With Ginger... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Phyllo-Wrapped Figs With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Penne With Roasted Tomatoes,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Orange-Spice Buche De Noel With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Smoked Turkey Sandwiches With Blue... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta With Sausage, Red Onion, And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Fennel-Scented Mashed Potatoes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Corn Bread Dressing With Ham,... 0/5 (0 Votes)