Seared Scallops with Chorizo, Potatoes and Green Onions
Makes 5 cups serving 6 to 8 as a soft taco filling or tapa
Recipe from Season 7 of Mexico - One Plate at a Time
- 1 pound (about 4 medium) red skin boiling potatoes, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 pound scallops
- 2 About 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 12 ounces (about 1 1/2 cups) fresh Mexican chorizo sausage, casing removed
- 4 large green onions, roots and withered outer leaves trimmed off, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Optional: Warm corn or flour tortillas
1. Boil the potatoes. Half-fill a large (4-quart) saucepan with water, add 1 tablespoon salt and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes and simmer over medium heat until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain.
2. Sear the scallops. Pat the scallops dry with paper towels. Heat a very large (12-inch) skillet or griddle over medium-high (for best results, choose a skillet or griddle that’s heavy and non-stick or well-seasoned cast iron). Add the oil, and, when quite hot, add the scallops in an uncrowded layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sear, turning occasionally, until golden, only about 2 minutes total. (With high heat, you will be able to sear the scallops without overcooking them.) Scoop onto a wide plate.
3. Finish the dish. Add the chorizo and green onions. Cook over medium heat, breaking up any clumps of chorizo, just until the sausage has rendered its fat, 6 or 7 minutes. Add the drained potatoes and continue cooking, occasionally scraping up any sticky bits, until the potatoes begin to look crusty-brown, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile cut the scallops into pieces that resemble the diced potatoes. When the potatoes are browned, add the scallops. Mix everything together as the scallops heat for a minute or so, then scoop the mixture into a serving bowl and set before your guests.
You'll also love
- Moroccan Spiced Salmon w/Harissa... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Shrimp Cheese Ball 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chinese Velvet Chicken and Corn... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- ASPARAGUS CRAB CASSEROLE 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Kale, Smoked Sausage, and Potato ... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pasta With Spicy Sausages,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Rosemary crusted Pizza,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Caramelized Onion & Goat Cheese... 0/5 (0 Votes)