The Best Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
Seriously, these are the best cheesy scalloped potatoes, made with two types of cheese. Make sure to use full fat milk and cheese, and shred your cheese before melting for a creamier texture.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon. salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 (12-ounce) block sharp cheddar cheese,shredded and divided
- 1 (4-ounce) block Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 3 pounds medium russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 130mins
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat. Add onion, mustard, salt and pepper; cook until onion is tender 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Whisk in flour; continue whisking 3 to 5 minutes.
Whisk in milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until sauce is thickened slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. Slowly stir in 2 cups cheddar cheese; stir in Monterey Jack cheese. Add potatoes and toss to coat. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid scorching.
Transfer potato mixture to a greased 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Top with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour. Top with bread crumbs; return to oven until the potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. If desired sprinkle with minced chives.
NOTES: First made Father's Day 6/18/2017. Worth the effort and makes a lot.
Taken from Taste of Home, April/May 2017.
Shred the cheese off the block for a creamier texture and bolder flavor. for a smoother sauce use full-fat milk and cheese. Low and slow is key, too much heat will cause the sauce to break. As soon as the sauce comes to a boil, turn down the heat.
You'll also love
- Southern Peach Cobbler 4.5/5 (23 Votes)
- Sour Cream Lemon Pie 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Wagyu Filet Mignon with Shallot &... 4.3/5 (48 Votes)
- Sharp Cheddar Chili Cheese Crackers 4.4/5 (27 Votes)
- Spicy Shrimp Sandwich with... 4.3/5 (36 Votes)
- Crispy Garlic Eggplant Fries 4.5/5 (23 Votes)
- 30-Minute Monday- Crunchy Baked Cod 4.2/5 (38 Votes)
- Garlic Mashed Red Potatoes Recipe 4.4/5 (24 Votes)